More and more these days we as wives are getting a bad reputation. The media and reality tv have twisted the idea of what a wife is supposed to be. Even as Christian wives we are constantly nagging and whining at our husbands. We demand respect from them, yet we do not respect them ourselves. We try to rule the roost even though that is not the way God ordained a marriage. We as Christian wives need to start setting a better Godly example to everyone around us!
When I was first thinking about being better wife and what I should be doing, the Holy Spirit prompted me to ask my husband what were the things he needed from me as a wife. He really opened my eyes and even stepped on my toes a little with some of his answers, but the more I read in the Word, the more his answers lined up! So, here we go!
Qualities of a Virtuous Wife from a Husband's Point of View:
• She keeps her husband covered in prayer.
• She makes sure that God comes first in the home.
• She is madly in love with Jesus, therefore reflecting that love to her husband.
• She makes her husband feel appreciated.
• She takes care of the things that her husband has worked so hard to provide for. That being said, she keeps her house tidy and her vehicle cleaned up!)
• She is respectful of everyone including her husband. She is also not over boisterous!
• She is not quick-tempered, but she administers grace and patience to all.
• She never raises her voice, but her words are gentle and kind even when having to reprimand. (Proverbs 31:26)
• She has a very gentle and quiet spirit.
• She lets her husband be the boss; she doesn't try to "wear the pants" in the marriage.
• She is fully dedicated to her husband and to his goals in life.
• She is sexually submissive (ladies, we shouldn't be faking a headache to get out if pleasing our man!)
• She accepts her husbands authority and therefore does not nag or complain!
• She isn't a slob, but isn't over concerned with her outward appearance! A sweet spirit is more beautiful than any make up!
• She is an encourager to her husband!
• She brings him only happiness and no sadness!
In the same way, you wives must accept the authority of your husbands. Then, even if some refuse to obey the Good News, your godly lives will speak to them without any words. They will be won over by observing your pure and reverent lives. Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God. This is how the holy women of old made themselves beautiful. They put their trust in God and accepted the authority of their husbands. For instance, Sarah obeyed her husband, Abraham, and called him her master. You are her daughters when you do what is right without fear of what your husbands might do. (1 Peter 3:1-6 NLT)
Thank you for reading! This devo was written by Maggi Sellers with a little insight from Josh Sellers:)
You can follow me on Insta and twitter!!